- Download all links from WMTs, Majestic and SEMRush – and any other backlink checkers you have access to.
2. Add all the links together in one column.
3. Trim URLs to domains
On a new tab, trim to domains using:
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("//www.",A2)), MID(A2,FIND(":",A2,4)+3,FIND("/",A2,9)-FIND(":",A2,4)-3), MID(A2,FIND(":",A2,4)+7,FIND("/",A2,9)-FIND(":",A2,4)-7))
4. Remove Duplicates
So there is a list of unique domains
5. Add list of unique domains to a new spreadsheet
6. Before reviewing links
Do a vlookup against the last review and/or disavow file to identify the new links and domains.
Delete any links that have already been reviewed previously.
You should now have a list of new domains and URLs to review
Put the remaining domains in Alphabetical order
7. Get an Example URL to review for each domain
Make Column A “domain”, Column B “Example URL”
Get example URLs by using this formula:
Change “DomainstoReview” in the formula above, to match the sheet within which the original list of URLs/Backlinks exists.
The formula will get an example URL – to review for that domain
8. Add Trust Flow using SEO Tools for each domain
9. Add SEMRush metrics if possible using SEO Tools
10. Add a column for “Approve/Disavow” and a column for a “note” to add to the disavow file e.g.
#These sites and links are not relevant
11. With all the Domains and URLs you want to disavow – create a .txt file
If you want to disavow the entire site, prefix it with “Domain:”
12. Submit to the Disavow Tool